Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Week 10

I've never been into games much but I decided to give a couple a try. I played Bookworm, a word game that links letters together to make a word and Zuma which reminded me of online pinball (both games need good hand and eye coorindation).

I read about LanbdaMoo and found the concept ineresting. It is a text based virtual community whose members create rooms and then move about them meeting and interacting with other people. If I ever find the time I might check it out.

I can see some benefits of gaming: teaches social and imagination skills, improve ones adaptability, challenges the mind and teaches creative problem solving.

I'm not sure where games and libraries come together. Perhaps for training purposes e.g. set up a virtual library, must learn how to use the libraries resourses in a social environment. Not sure if this would work. Personally I think that one on one training is still the way to go (but then again, I like my libraries to have books in them!) . Possible to locate a book in a virtual library and request it? This would be fine with me as long as we don't rely on virtual staff!

If we're not short staffed on Friday I'd like to attend the Gaming Demos drop in session.

No comments: